Saturday, May 30, 2020

Clamshell Quilt







I purchased some of Sarah Jane magic fabric and when I saw the mermaid print I knew I wanted to try out a clamshell quilt.  I bought a quilting book from a library sale and inside was a pattern for the quilt only they wanted the shells much smaller.   I enlarged the pattern but this baby sized quilt still has 72 clamshells.  Each shell curve had to be ironed under and then hand basted before assembly.  I am not going to lie... this quilt took FOREVER!!!!  It didn't help that I decided to hand quilt it using gold metallic thread.  That thread is finicky and snags easy but in the end it was worth it.  I wanted it to be extra frilly and feminine so I added a ruffle edge as well as a ruffled tulle edge.  So 150 hours later (not even joking) I finished and the result was well worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment